This season: bro out, douchebag in style

Citing a recent study by the AU anthropology department, more and more AU males are identifying themselves as "douchebags," said Dr. Marvin Nillson, a professor in the department of anthropology.

"We found that many students were not content with the more constrictive terms like 'mook' or 'bro,'" said Dr. Nillson. "The students we interviewed prefer 'douchebag' because it's open to interpretation - it recognizes the individual more than the older terms."

According to the study, as many as 85 percent of AU males identify as douchebag.

Mark Pettigrew-Jordan, a junior in the School of Public Affairs, began identifying as a douchebag during a personal finance course late last semester. "I was just sitting in the back, throwing sunflower seeds at this chick in front of me, and it sort of dawned on me. 'I'm such a douchebag!' I felt so free after I just admitted it to myself. I'll never go back now. I am who I am."

Merle Beauregard, Pettigrew-Jordan's suitemate and a junior in SIS, accepts the new term whole-heartedly.

"I'm really standing by him on this one. He's so strong." Beauregard, himself not a douchebag, is nonetheless accepting of alternative lifestyles. "A lot of my best friends are douchebags, and that's totally OK."

Patrick Killeny, a longtime friend and fellow douchebag, was not surprised by Pettigrew-Jordan's announcement.

"Mark's always been an asshole," he said. "Last spring break he filled my bed with shaving cream and left it there all week. What a tool."

Paul Bleekland, a senior in SPA, started identifying as douchebag as early as 2003, while a sophomore in high school in his native New Jersey.

"I guess I always new it," said Bleekland, "but I felt weird using the term 'bro' or 'mook.' I didn't think they captured my real essence, you know? That's why I was so glad when the word 'douchebag' really caught on"