Swimmer Thiel wins twin ECAC crowns

Senior Meghan Thiel wrapped up her illustrious AU career by taking home two East Coast Athletic Conference championship titles over the weekend at the meet held at the University of Pittsburgh.

Thiel, along with fellow senior Joe Coronato, were the two Eagle swimmers who competed at the meet, which is designed to give the swimmers one final chance to qualify for the NCAA championships, as they did not already do so in the PL championship meet.

Swimming in her final races in an Eagle uniform, Thiel took first place in the 500-yard event on day one of the competition, finishing with a time of 4:53.07.

In her final event, the 1650-yard race, Thiel took home first with a winning time of 16:39.60, nearly 20 seconds ahead of her next closest competitor, Michelle Ducharme of Seton Hall.

Coronato also had strong finishes in his final collegiate event, taking home second place in the 100-yard freestyle event with a time of 46.26, finishing only 74-hundreths out of first.

Coronato also competed in the 50- and 200-yard freestyle, taking home fifth and ninth respectively with times of 21.29 and 1:41.19.