EYES ON THE BALL- Freshman defender Nick Kapus faces off against a Real Maryland team member in Saturday's exhibition game. The men's soccer team played two full exhibition games back to back Saturday afternoon on Reeves Field against both Georgetown and

Men's soccer wins pair of exhibitions

The AU men's soccer team played a pair of spring exhibitions this week, winning both 1-0 against Georgetown University and the semi-pro squad Real Maryland.

In the game against the Hoyas, Luis Martinez converted a penalty kick following a foul in the penalty box against junior teammate Anthony Moy.

Against Real Maryland, the team was able to find its scoring touch from freshman David Menzie.

News and Notes:

Three former Eagles were featured in the news this past week.

Jon Pascale, from the class of 1997, has been named the new head coach at the University of California-San Diego. He was formerly the assistant coach at the University of Pennsylvania, Georgetown and Stanford.

Harrisburg City Islanders of the United Soccer League's Second Division signed Nate Baker, who graduated last year.

Baker's teammate for three seasons, Sal Caccavale, asked to be released from MLS' New York Red Bulls this week after he only played in one game last season. Caccavale played four minutes in his only action but was able to score his first professional goal during that time.

"The league is a long way from being where it needs to be," he said in an instant message.