DON'T GIVE UP- Though it looked grim in the beginning (below), Blue Crew fans never gave up on their Eagles. No. 5 Garrison Carr (above) gave the fans plenty to cheer about in the second half. Carr scored 11 points in the second half, including three thre

Men's b-ball gives all in PL quarterfinal win

In front of a raucous crowd in Bender Arena, the men's basketball team came back from a double-digit deficit last night to defeat the Holy Cross Crusaders 62-60 in the quarterfinals of the Patriot League Tournament.

Holy Cross came out aggressive and asserted its will early. Its stifling zone defense contested every attempted basket. While on offense, the Crusaders were able to steadily build up the lead. It was able to extend it to as much as 11 points and led the Eagles 28-22 at halftime.

But whatever momentum the Crusaders had at halftime was quickly erased. Juniors Garrison Carr and Bryce Simon hit back-to-back three-pointers to open up the half and tie the game.

"I was more aggressive in the second half," Carr said. "I had to make a point to put the ball on the ground more and be more aggressive, and it opened everything up for the team and myself."

Nevertheless, the Eagles were not able to take the lead, as both teams traded baskets for the next 10 minutes.

Neither team could extend the lead to more than four points until the 6:30 mark of the second half, when Holy Cross took a 50-45 lead.

However, the Eagles bounced right back as Carr and junior Brian Gilmore hit back-to-back three-pointers to give AU its first lead of the game.

The teams continued to trade leads the rest of the way. Holy Cross looked like it might steal the game when Crusader Colin Cunningham hit a pair of free throws to give Holy Cross a one-point lead with just over one minute to go.

After AU was stopped on its next possession, junior Derrick Mercer fouled Crusader point guard Pat Doherty. But Doherty, an 80 percent free throw shooter, missed both free throws, giving AU another chance.

The Eagles capitalized when Gilmore received the ball near the free throw line and drove to the basket, where he was fouled but still made the lay-up to give AU a one-point lead with 18 seconds left.

"The middle was open, and I was able to flash to the high post," Gilmore said. "No one really came to me and I got a one-on-one match-up with [Crusader center] Tim Clifford, and I was able to make a play and get to the basket."

Gilmore made the ensuing free throw, and a smothering defensive stand by the Eagles prevented Holy Cross from even getting a shot off before the buzzer, which ensured the two-point win.

"Those kids battled, and it was a great game," head coach Jeff Jones said.

Mercer led the Eagles with 16 points, while Carr, Simon and Gilmore scored in the double digits. Jones also commended junior forward Jordan Nichols for playing an "outstanding game" against leading Holy Cross scorer Clifford.

In other Patriot League Tournament games, No. 7 seed Bucknell upset No. 2 Navy in triple overtime, while No. 3 Colgate and No. 5 Army also won its respective games.

The win advanced AU to the semifinals of the conference tournament where they will play at home against Army on Sunday.

Said Mercer: "We're going to put our hard hats on and keep working"