Bon Appetit to lower beef, cheese buys

Bon Appetit plans to cut down on the beef and cheese it purchases in the coming year, Helene York, director of Bon Appetit Management Company Foundation, said during a presentation Thursday.

The company plans to reduce its purchases of beef and cheese by 10 percent as soon as possible, she said. Ultimately, the company will reduce beef purchases by 25 percent by April 2009, according to Bon Appetit's Web site www.circleofresponsibility.com, which has a full list of long-term goals.

York said she came to AU to advocate for the new "low carbon diet," a countrywide effort at reducing gas emissions in its food production.

Bon Appetit will be the first company in the United States' food industry to try fighting climate change and is marketing in anticipation of Low Carbon Day - April 22 - than it has for any other single day, according to York.

York said climate change has only been a prevalent issue in the United States for a few years - brought to the forefront by the damage Hurricane Katrina caused in 2005 and Al Gore's documentary "An Inconvenient Truth." The food industry has been the last to catch on in the movement against global warming, which scientists say is caused by gas emissions trapping heat on the earth's surface.

The three most abundant gases contributing toward climate change are carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide, which are all predominant in the food system, York said. By simply cutting down on waste and making several other dietary changes, Bon Appetit plans to decrease its production of greenhouse gases radically.

All Bon Appetit branches, including the Terrace Dining Room, The Eagle's Nest and the Tavern, will implement the changes as soon as possible, York said. It will be up to AU to make changes specific to the AU community.

For example, Bon Appetit will release educational advertisements, which York called "guiding principles," to be put up at the different stations in TDR. But it will really be up to AU to decide how to get the word out about Bon Appetit's new initiatives.

Chris Moody, executive director of Housing and Dining Programs, said students are relatively uneducated about these initiatives, but suggested reaching out to student partners through the media and focus groups.

Curtis Harris, a junior in the School of International Service, said he currently does not do anything specifically to fight global warming, but does tend to do things that are "environmentally friendly," such as turning lights off and recycling. Harris said he likes the idea of purchasing less beef and cheese.

"It takes more land to raise beef than to grow vegetables and fruit," Harris said. "Also, cows produce lots of methane."

Bon Appetit will also purchase 10 percent less coffee beans and will only be buying nontropical fruits from North America, encouraging TDR to serve fruits during their natural growing seasons, according to York.

Kristen Pionati, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs, said she believes climate change is "important, but not that huge." Although Pionati said there are bigger issues, including the economy and the war, she does recycle, turn off lights, and even turns off the sink when she brushes her teeth.

Pionati said she agrees with Bon Appetit's decision to fight climate change.

"It's good to cut back on beef and cheese, but I'm not so sure about the fruit - I need my bananas," she said.

For this movement to be successful, local communities need to embrace the change, York said. She said there will still be individuals who insist on eating beef and cheese every day, but said these changes are about modifying choices and cutting down waste, not denying guests what they want.

York said she ultimately hopes Bon Appetit will be able to "catalyze change" in the food industry.