Army Corps wants additional investigation of Pit 3

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is extending its Engineered Control Structure at 4825 Glenbrook Road to investigate other parts of an area referred to as Pit 3 for World War I-era munitions. Geophysical surveying revealed more than 60 "anomalies" - randomly strewn objects - they need to investigate.

As of March 10, the Corps had completed digging in its current location between the road and the residence and is currently in the process of building a 17-foot extension of the ECS alongside the house.

Construction of the ECS extension will last approximately six weeks. Digging is expected to resume by April 21.

Workers have so far removed and tested 891 barrels - or 180 cubic yards - of soil. They have recovered two chemical munitions from Pit 3.

The extension will allow the Corps to investigate a sinkhole that appeared several weeks ago after extensive digging that included the use of a jackhammer. A sinkhole indicates loose soil that is likely due to the presence of buried objects, such as munitions.

Any further digging will likely be completed "low-probability," meaning workers can avoid a wholesale removal of earth. Instead, the Corps will dig directly above the remaining "anomalies."

-CHRISTOPHER COTTRELL

SOURCE: Dan Noble, project manager of the Army Corps' Military Munitions Response Program, Baltimore District