TRIPLE PLAY- No. 23 Maggie Smith-Davidson grabs a rebound after out-muscling two Colgate defenders in her team's 73-46 victory Saturday. The women's basketball team is now in first place in the Patriot League.

Women's basketball takes first place in PL

The women's basketball team is now in a three-way tie for first place in the Patriot League after defeating Colgate 73-46 in Bender Arena Saturday.

AU took advantage of the court from the start, gaining control of the ball right at tip-off. The Eagles scored the first few baskets of the game, nailing 10 of their first 15 shots.

Senior Talicia Jackson was on target, gaining 14 first-half points, including four three-point shots, to give the Eagles a 38-19 advantage heading off the court at halftime.

Second-half play didn't stray far from the first half as the Eagles dominated the court once again. AU was leading by as many as 33 points at the 6:10 mark, with the difference in points larger than Colgate's overall gain.

Colgate was fighting but unable to get more than 19 points in range to AU's score, leaving the score at 73-46 when the final buzzer rang.

It was a team effort put out by the Eagles, as several AU players scored points up in the double-digit range. Seniors Jackson, Liz Hayes and Stephanie N'Garsanet scored 14, 13 and 12 points respectively. Forward N'Garsanet pulled through with a team-high of six rebounds.

The Eagles will look to maintain their lead thus far in the Patriot League when they face Army Wednesday night. AU has four more games to complete before the PL tournaments begin.