EAGLES SOAR - Senior Stephanie N'Garsanet soars to score against her Navy opponent in Wednesday night's game in Bender Arena. The Eagles took down the Midshipmen 69-37 in their final home game of the regular season to clinch a share of the PL crown. All o

Women's basketball sinks Navy

Clinches share of PL title, 69-37

Bender was buzzing last night as the women's basketball team clinched a share of the Patriot League title in a 69-37 win against the Navy Midshipmen.

AU came out strong from the start, establishing a 9-0 lead off of a Talicia Jackson three-pointer.

It would not be long before Navy answered back, bringing the score up to 9-4 with back-to-back baskets.

The Eagles did not rollover as Liz Hayes came back for her team, scoring five points in a row to extend the Eagle lead to 14-4. Hayes scored a total of 11 points for her team and gained seven rebounds.

Stephanie N'Garsanet's two-pointer closed the half with a 31-15 lead in favor of the Eagles. N'Garsanet recorded her first double-double of her career, tallying 15 points and total of 11 rebounds.

AU opened up the half with a 7-2 run off of a Michelle Kirk basket. Kirk finished the game with a team high of 16 points, six rebounds and two blocks.

Kirk continued on her streak, scoring consecutive threes with 12:10 to go in the game, bringing the score to 47-23.

AU continued its hot play until the final buzzer, holding Navy to just 23.6 percent shooting on its way to a 69-37 win.

This would be the final regular season home game for Eagle seniors Hayes, N'Garsanet and Maggie Smith-Davidson. All three women were recognized prior to the start of the game.

As of right now, the Eagles hold a one-game lead over Lehigh, Army and Holy Cross, who are in a three-way tie for second place in the PL.

However, there are a few possible scenarios that could play out in the days to come for the women's Patriot League teams. AU can clinch the title with a victory on Saturday against Lafayette. However, if the Eagles do not win on Saturday, there is still a chance it can also secure the title if Army loses to Bucknell in its game and if Lehigh loses to Holy Cross in its game. All PL teams wrap-up play on Saturday.