Women's b-ball gains 7th straight win: No. 1 in PL

The women's basketball team came out strong from the start in their game at Army, winning 63-51 on Wednesday night and putting the team in first place in the Patriot League.

With no more than 13 seconds into the game, AU put its name on the scoreboard, gaining a two-point lay-up from senior Maggie Smith-Davidson. Army was not far behind, answering with a lay-up by Stefanie Stone to tie the game up at two.

It was anyone's game until the 11-minute mark when AU took the lead for good off a Smith-Davidson two-point shot to put the score to 12-10. This trend would persist throughout the half as the Eagles continued to rebound and outscore their Black Knight opponents.

At the 10:24 mark, Army took the first of their time-outs with the scoreboard flashing a 16-10 Eagle lead. As the clock dwindled down to the halfway mark, AU continued on a 11-8 scoring run, finishing off with two free-throws and a two-point jumper from freshman Michelle Kirk bringing the score to 27-18.

As the half approached, the Black Knights rallied, bringing the score to 32-27 as the buzzer sounded.

When both teams headed out of the locker rooms, it seemed as though it could be anyone's game, as the Black Knights quickly scored a two-point jumper bringing the score within a three-point Eagle lead.

It wouldn't be until the 14:58 mark that the Eagles would gain a strong lead once again. Junior Talicia Jackson scored two free throws off a Black Knight foul, bringing the score to 41-34.

However, Army retaliated with a three-point jumper, allowing it to be anyone's game with 41-37 on the scoreboard.

With 2:55 left on the clock, senior Liz Hayes forced the Black Knights to an eight-point hole, scoring a three-point shot to bring the Eagles to a 57-49 lead. The shot gave the Eagles enough momentum to continue on to a 12-point win.

The Eagles will try to bring their winning streak to eight games when they face Holy Cross at 2 p.m. in Bender on Saturday.