Did you know...

AU men's basketball history in a nutshell

1. The AU men's basketball team started in 1926 under head coach G. Baillie Springston. Springston led the Eagles for a total of three years until 1929-1930 season when Walter H. Young replaced him.

2. Before Bender Arena, there was Fort Myer Ceremonial Hall, commonly known to Eagle fans back in the day as "The Fort." The Fort housed AU home games and was jokingly called by old head coach Ed Tapscott "the only college arena with a wind chill factor." The Fort, which was built in 1934, was the training facility of the Third U.S. Infantry.

3. In 1982, the Eagles were responsible for one of the biggest upsets in college basketball history. The Eagles shocked the fifth-ranked Georgetown Hoyas 62-61 at the Capital Center on Dec. 16. The Hoyas ended up going to the NCAA Championship game (no shock there - at the time Patrick Ewing was on the team), but for a brief moment, the Eagles had taken them down.

4. On Jan. 25, 1995, the Eagles rallied for one of the greatest NCAA comebacks of all time against the George Mason Patriots. AU found itself 24 points down against its local competitors but was able to come back and score 73 points in the second half. The Eagles went on to win the game by a total of 19 points.

5. For the first time in 80 years, AU beat the Maryland Terrapins this past December. The Eagles had faced the Terrapins in 14 previous match-ups, all of which proved to be unsuccessful. However, it was lucky number 15 that would do the trick, allowing the Eagles to remain the only Patriot League team to ever defeat an ACC school. The final score of the game was 67-59.