New coach, new attitude, new outlook

Most of the media chatter about the Washington Capitals' chances in the 2007-2008 season was relatively positive. For the first time since the fire sale of 2004, when the club shed expensive and under performing talents like Jaromir Jagr, Robert Lang and franchise mainstay Peter Bondra, optimism was present for at least a playoff berth.

However, all that positive thinking could not keep the Caps from dropping to the bottom of the NHL standings with a resounding thud. Despite a 3-0 start to the campaign and the usual outstanding effort by star Alex Ovechkin, the losses kept adding up. The team was fighting injuries and underachievement, and by Thanksgiving, head coach Glen Hanlon had lost his job.

Enter Bruce Boudreau. After leading the Capitals' American Hockey League affiliate in Hershey, Pa., to a championship in 2006 and a finals appearance in 2007, Boudreau was tapped to bring about change in D.C. "Gabby," as he is affectionately know due to his talkative nature, has been able to do just that - so far, at least.

After the Capitals restocked their farm system with trades for young talent and high draft picks, Boudreau was responsible for molding that talent in the minor leagues. Eight players on the team had played for Boudreau in the past, accounting for one-third of the roster and making the coaching transition smoother than it could have been.

A journeyman as both a player and a coach, Boudreau had never before been presented with an opportunity to coach at the game's highest level. He brings a more offense-centered game plan to the table, compared to former coach Hanlon's conservative scheme.

This has led to numerous scoring opportunities for a Caps team that has no shortage of offensive talent. Ovechkin currently leads the NHL in goals, and highly touted rookie Nicklas Backstrom is beginning to live up to expectations, centering the top scoring line. Ovechkin, the cornerstone of the team and face of the franchise, was speculated to be on his way out of town as a restricted free agent during this summer but put those rumors to bed by signing a 13-year, $124 million contract earlier this month.

Goaltender Olaf Kolzig, a 19-year veteran of the Capitals organization, has been moderately successful in goal, despite some rocky play. Sniper Alexander Semin has shaken off the effects of an early-season high ankle sprain and is starting to post more characteristic numbers.

However, a pleasant surprise has come from young defenseman Mike Green. Regarded for his offensive abilities, Green was selected with Washington's final first round selection in the 2004 draft. Despite a strong performance in Hershey under Boudreau and playing a key role in the Bears' Calder Cup championship in 2006, success in the big leagues was not immediate for Green.

When Boudreau came to Washington, though, and Green began seeing consistent minutes with defense partner Shaone Morrisonn, his numbers exploded. Morrisonn, acquired in 2004 from the Boston Bruins, is a defense-first defenseman who gives Green room to capitalize on offensive chances. As a result, Green currently leads all NHL defensemen in goal scoring.

Of course, Boudreau's game plan has not hindered Green's production, either. The new coach's style and attitude has led to a sharp turnaround in the team's collective attitude. Games that were written off after early setbacks have turned into come-from-behind wins. Washington has used its re-energized play, plus membership in the soft Southeast division, to mount a charge back into the playoff race.

The Capitals will need to sustain their current pace to still be playing come playoff time, but the signs of that happening are positive as the team's young core begins to come of age.