Glenn hits 100th victory mark as wrestling splits double-header

Josh Glenn, AU's All-American and defending National Champion wrestler, won his 100th and 101st wrestling matches of his career when the Eagles faced off in a double-header against UNC Greensboro and Campbell University Tuesday night.

In its first showdown, AU battled a strong UNC Greensboro. The match was a test of strength for both squads, but in the end, Greensboro successfully sealed off the victory. The Eagles started with a bang, after 125-lb. Jasen Borshoff stunned UNC Greensboro's Mitchell Johnson in a 10-8 victory. From that point on, the match went back and forth.

The Eagles' Christopher Stout and Mike Cannon won their matches decisively with matching 10-2 scores, and Kyle Borshoff pulled off a close 7-4 win. After Cannon's victory, the Eagles lead the match 14-6, but Greensboro made a run and tied the meet at 17 heading into the final weight class of the match. In the end, Greensboro's heavyweight Ryan Hsu pinned Brooks Keefer at the 3:54 mark, giving Greensboro six points and the 23-17 victory.

Even in defeat, AU's No. 1-ranked Glenn did not disappoint Eagle fans when he beat fellow nationally ranked wrestler Daren Burns, No. 11, in their 197-lb. contest. The match was so close it came down to the final 20 seconds to declare the winner. Glenn scored a takedown and won the match 10-5.

AU turned the tables in its second match of the day, beating Campbell by a decisive 24-13 margin. Cannon, Stout and Matt Mariacher, along with the Borshoff brothers, all left the mat with victories. With Cannon's pin of Chris Mazzatta in the 165-lb. match, the Eagles led Campbell 21-3.

Despite the Eagles' dominating presence, Campbell cut the lead down to 11 after close battles in the 174-lb. match-up (Campbell's Matthew Hawksworth defeated AU's Jonathon Powell) and in the 184-lb. match-up (Campbell's Kyle Higgins defeated AU's Andy Semple).

In the end, AU pulled away with Glenn's 101st career victory. Glenn defeated Parker Burns 8-4, raising the Eagles' final tally to 24-13. Glenn has now won 34 consecutive matches since December 2006. Glenn has had only 12 losses in his career.