Volleyball team named 2007 league champions

After two consecutive 3-0 wins over Navy and Colgate, the AU volleyball team was crowned the 2007 Patriot League champions, the seventh straight Patriot League championship win for the Eagles.

It was a defensive battle against Navy on Friday. Both teams hit below their averages, but it was AU that held Navy to a .099 hitting percentage. The Eagles were able to keep Navy attacks at bay thanks in part to seven blocks made by senior Chelsa Brooks.

It was a difficult game, but AU had the ability to stay mentally tough and continue to focus when things were not going their way. Christina Nash helped the cause with 37 assists, and Rubena Sukaj added support with 20 kills. The Eagles won the first game 30-21 and won the other two games 30-28.

"We finally played solid throughout three full games," sophomore Cynammon Burns said. "This season, we would start strong and let up in the third game. We didn't do that this time."

Despite their win against Navy, the Eagles needed to play with more fire if they were going to beat Colgate University in the championship game Saturday.

AU defeated Colgate 30-23, 30-26 and 30-18. The Eagles could not be stopped, tallying 59 kills in 114 attempts. Nash's 44 assists, Sukaj's 25 kills and a .600 hitting percentage by Claire Recht all contributed to AU's winning scores.

According to Burns, it was a team effort.

"Everyone played really well," Burns said. "We finally played as a team ... our successes come from each other, not from one individual."

Several Eagles went home with recognitions. After compiling over 80 assists in the two tournament games, Nash, the 2006 co-setter of the year, was named the MVP of the tournament. Burns, Sukaj and Cassandra Ricketts were all named to the Patriot League All-Tournament team.

The Eagles now have a spot in the NCAA Tournament, which begins Nov. 29. Their opponent will be announced on ESPNU Sunday.