Women's soccer wins first PL game of the season, 1-0

The women's soccer team opened Patriot League play with a victory on Saturday, defeating the Colgate Raiders 1-0 at Reeves Field. The win snaps a three-game losing streak for the Eagles and improves their overall record to 7-5.

Both teams came out of the gates flying, with each squad taking plenty of shots on goal without anything to show for their efforts on the scoreboard until almost a half hour into the game.

The Eagles broke through first in the 29th minute to take the early 1-0 advantage. Freshman Friederike Engel came off the bench to record her first goal of the season off of a free kick by senior Irene Karistinos.

While each team would continue its offensive barrage, with the Eagles recording seven shots on goal and the Raiders collecting six, neither put any into the back of the net after the initial goal, and the Eagles led into the break.

Colgate kept up this momentum into the second half, peppering AU junior goaltender Kelsey Wiggins with nine shots in the period. Wiggins proved to be up to the challenge, stopping every ball that came her way en route to her first career shutout as the Eagles held on to the 1-0 lead.

The Eagles now head out on the road for their next two contests, taking on Lehigh Friday before heading out to Lafayette Sunday.