Volleyball sweeps Navy 3-0 on home turf

The volleyball team defeated the Navy Black Knights 3-0 Friday night at Bender Arena, improving its home record to 13-1 on the year as well as boosting the team's PL record to 9-1 and overall record to 18-7.

The match was one of the most dominating performances of the year for the squad. The Eagles swept the three games 30-18, 30-21 and 30-16, holding Navy to a season-low -.039 hitting percentage and forcing them to hit 31 errors compared to only 27 kills.

The Eagles hit with a .255 average and had 41 kills and 11 blocked shots.

The Eagles came out of the gates flying and never looked back. They took a 10-4 lead in the first game en route to an easy 30-18 game score. Chelsa Brooks picked up four blocks in the opening frame, while teammate Rubena Sukaj had three, part of her match-high 13.

Game two was the closest Navy got to a win, tying the Eagles at 11 before AU went on a 10-0 run to put the Midshipmen away and cruise to a 30-21 victory. Christina Nash had 12 assists during this game, part of her match-high 32.

Up two games to none, the Eagles ran away with game three, starting with an 8-0 advantage before ending the match on a 12-6 run to end the game 30-16. Ann Recht helped out her team by registering three block assists in the first eight plays during this match.

The Eagles will look to continue their momentum at home during their final two matches when they face nonconference opponent New Jersey Tech on Halloween before their home finale against Virginia Commonwealth Nov. 6. Both matches tip off at 7 p.m.