Men's cross country takes PL championship title

It was just a little bit of history repeating itself for the AU men's cross country team on Saturday, as the squad picked up its sixth consecutive league title at the Patriot League Championships held at Lafayette.

The result was the closest in league history, with the Eagles topping Navy by a single point, 48 to 47. The women also finished with their highest placing since winning the 2003 crown, taking fourth in the eight-team event at 114 points.

Senior Brendan Fennell took home his second straight individual championship, finishing the eight-kilometer course with a time of 25:00. Teammate and fellow senior Steve Hallinan finished second overall, only 21 seconds behind Fennell's pace. It was the first time that Hallinan, the 2005 PL individual champion, did not finish first in a race for the Eagles this season.

Rounding out the scoring for AU was junior Carlos Jamieson, who finished 11th with a time of 26:31, senior Brian McCabe who placed 15th at 26:40.40 and freshman Kyle Gaffney two spots back in 17th at 26:48.70.

Senior Cathleen Ford paced all runners on the women's squad, finishing second overall with a time of 21:12.30 on the six-kilometer course. Kate Lilley was the other top-10 finisher for the Eagles, placing in seventh with a time of 21:44.40. Greta Wicklund, Meghan Mason and Melissa Tabas finished out the scoring for AU, taking 28th, 34th and 43rd overall respectively.

Next up for the team is the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional meet, to be held at Bucknell University on Nov. 10.