Field hockey defeats Bucknell Bison, 3-0

The field hockey team won 3-0 against the Bucknell University Bison, bringing AU's overall record to 10-3-0 and its Patriot League record to 2-0.

The Eagles dominated the game from the start and applied pressure to their opponents on both sides of the field. It was the first time in four games that the Eagles not only scored early but scored first as well. Just over eight minutes into the first half, attacker Jesika Pufnock beat the Bison keeper for the goal with a shot from the top of the circle. Pufnock's goal set the tone for the game and showed the Bison that she and the rest of the Eagles were ready to play to their fullest potential.

The Eagles struck again in the 21st minute. The Eagles had earned their second penalty stroke of the season and capitalized on it when defender Annie DeWiljies shot the ball straight to the back of the net, bringing the score to 2-0.

However, the Eagles would not stop there. Eight minutes after DeWiljies' goal, sophomore Savannah Graybill scored AU's third and final goal of the game off of an assist from Irene Schickhardt. Graybill and Denise Infante are tied as leading scorers this season with seven goals each thus far.

Although the Bison out-cornered AU 6-5 in the game, the Eagles continued to apply pressure to their opponent, making it difficult for Bucknell to break through and score. It was goalie Alyssa Poorman's fifth shutout of the season.

The Eagles hit the field again Wednesday when they play at James Madison University.