Families tour, learn AU history

Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay's speech and the discussion with White House correspondents David Gregory and Helen Thomas were two of the on-campus events held as part of Family Weekend, which took place Friday to Sunday.

On Friday, AU held several tours of the campus and the surrounding area. One of the tours focused on AU's status as an arboretum and took participants to different trees, flowers and other vegetation on-campus. Another tour focused on AU's history, and staff from the university archives explained the historical significance of different areas of the campus. Participants in a bus tour heard about the historical significance of areas in the neighborhoods surrounding AU, according to a schedule provided by the Office of Campus Life.

Families could also attend a selection of "open" classes, attend sessions on academics and Attention Deficit Disorder or go to open houses in the Wellness Center and the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Ally Resource Center. Additionally, they could eat in the Terrace Dining Room or attend a Shabbat service and dinner. The women's volleyball and soccer teams held games on campus.

On Saturday, AU's Team Runn'g Heads sponsored the American Classic 5K: Race for Humanity to support Habitat for Humanity. Some families and alumni participated in a service project at Bancroft Elementary through the Community Service Center or went on a School of International Service-sponsored hike to Old Rag Mountain in Shenandoah National Park. AU's schools and university offices sponsored additional open houses and receptions. Other activities included an art project at the Katzen Arts Center, a family picnic and a Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays discussion session. The AU Gospel Choir held a concert, and the swim and diving teams held a meet against Catholic University and George Washington University.

There were several performances of "Urinetown" at the Greenberg Theatre on Friday and Saturday. Additionally, the AU Museum was open the entire weekend so families could visit the museum's current exhibits.

On Sunday, families could eat brunch in TDR or at a "Sparkling Cider Brunch" in the University Club. The women's soccer team held a match and the university's student a cappella groups held a concert.