NEW ART - A visitor views the new exhibits at the Katzen Arts Center, including "All in the Family: A Juried Show of American University Alumni;" "Songs Without Words," an exhibit of photography by Sophia Tolstoy;  "Listening to Ivy;" and "Topophilia Imbu

Exhibits show multiple mediums

AU museum showcases work of alums

The AU museum at the Katzen Arts Center showcased a variety of new exhibitions during an Open Arts Night Thursday evening.

The exhibits included works from Carol Brown Goldberg, Keiko Hara and Sophia Tolstoy. "Listening to Ivy," an exhibit of paintings by Goldberg, uses "circles and ellipses of luminescence" that "appear structured and ordered over layers of spontaneous movement, where lines and particles imply space time and motion," according to Katzen's Web site.

"There is a certain depth to her paintings," said Corbin Fowler, a junior in the School of International Service who attended the event. "Through an organized arrangement of sporadic lines and shapes, she unites order and chaos, as if to say, 'These paintings represent the inherent duality of the universe.'"

Keiko Hara's most recent work, called "Topophilia Imbuing in Maru," was showcased in the museum's upper gallery.

"Song Without Words," an exhibit on the photography of Countess Sophia Tolstoy, is fused with the emotional impact of her life in aristocratic pre-Soviet Russia. Accompanying the photos are quotations from her personal diary, giving the photos a personal touch.

The exhibition comes from National Geographic, according to the museum pamphlet.

The architecture and sculpture garden outdoors presented observers with compelling designs of structures experimenting with space, material, color and light. Another addition to the Katzen Museum is "All in the Family: A Juried Show of American University Alumni." As advertised in the museum brochure, the exhibit features some of the best of AU's artistically inclined alumni.

All programs and events in the museum, unless otherwise noted, are free to students.

The majority of the exhibits currently on display will be available in the museum through the end of October. The next Open Arts Night will be on Oct. 25 from 6 to 8 p.m.

Other upcoming programs and events include a gallery talk with Goldberg on Saturday at 4 p.m. and a discussion with the artists on the connections between architecture and sculpture on Sunday from 4 to 6 p.m.

Additional information about the museum and future events and exhibitions can be found at www.american.edu/museum.