Assistant wrestling coach wins worldwide recognition

AU wrestling gained worldwide recognition this past Tuesday thanks to assistant wrestling coach, Brad Vering. Vering won silver in the Senior-Wrestling World Championships in Baku, Azerbaijan.

The assistant coach had previously won in the 2007 U.S. Nationals wrestling competition and the U.S. World Team Trials wrestling competition, but Tuesday's award was his most prestigious accomplishment thus far.

Tuesday was not the assistant coach's first time at the Senior-Wrestling World Championships; he placed fifth in 2002 and 2003, and participated in 2005 but was unable to place. Vering's years of training finally paid off when he received the silver medal.

"When I got the call that Brad received the medal, I got goose bumps," said head wrestling coach Mark Cody. "He's the nicest guy in the world."

Cody has been working with Vering for 20 years. When Vering was 10 years old, he met Cody at wrestling camp. He has been working with Cody ever since.

Last year, the wrestler decided to come to AU and work alongside his mentor as assistant coach. He also wanted a more intense training atmosphere and thought working with college wrestlers would help improve his own wrestling skills.

The assistant coach does not only have a great relationship with Cody, but with the rest of the team as well.

"His relationship with the team is great," Cody said. "He is the most positive individual I know."

Last year, Vering used his positive attitude to assist his workout partner, 2007 NCAA national championship winner Josh Glenn.

"Vering put the icing on the cake for champion Josh Glenn," Cody said. "He helped make Josh into a tougher wrestler."

Vering is expected to return to AU with his silver medal this week to continue working with the Eagles so that the team may have another championship season this fall.