MGC, Dorms Recieve Facelifts, Updates for Fall

Several Other Buildings on Campus Undergo Construction

AU has undertaken a wide variety of construction projects this summer, remodeling select campus buildings and updating outdoor facilities.

According to University Architect Jerry Gager, the offices of Academic Affairs, Campus Life and Financial Services collaborated to decide on the construction projects. "These projects were chosen because they respond to the needs of the university community - housing, social and academic needs," he said.

Gager said the following projects are occurring on campus this summer:

The Nebraska Hall remodeling, which will provide 115 rooms for apartment-style living, will be completed by the end of July and will be ready for move-in on Aug 17. The rooms are organized into two-, three-, and four-room suites. The approved budget for the remodeling is $15 million.

The Mary Graydon Center first floor renovation will create a new entrance to the Tavern and open up new space. The approved budget for the renovation is $2.4 million. Construction on the new administrative offices in Watkins will be complete by Aug 10. The approved budget for this project is $750,000.

Workers are also expanding the Kogod School of Business building to include a new lecture hall and additional office and instructional space. This project will be completed by August 2008. The approved budget for the expansion is $13 million.

A new model classroom, to be staffed by the Center for Teaching Excellence, is being renovated in Hurst Hall. The approved budget for this project is $150,000.

Lynne Feely, assistant director for Capital Renewal and Deferred Maintenance, said the following projects are also occurring:

The Leonard Hall renovation will replace carpets, refinish built-in furniture and provide the residence hall with a fresh coat of paint throughout. Transformer and switch replacement are also being put in to increase voltage capacity. The approved budget for this project is almost $3.2 million.

The North side steamline is also being replaced as part of a university-wide project to upgrade the steam delivery system. The approved budget for the North side replacement is $790,000.

The Woods-Brown Amphitheatre stage renovation will replace the top of the stage and run new electrical cabling underneath. The approved budget for this project is $90,000.

The Greenberg track is also being resurfaced with seven millimeters of elastomeric polyurethane sprinkled with EPDM rubber granules. The approved budget for this project is $250,000.

Director of Housing and Dining Programs Chris Moody said the impact of the construction on Housing and Dining Programs has been minimal. Housing and Dining sponsors summer school students, summer interns and conferences during the summer.

The Terrace Dining Room was temporarily moved to the Marketplace and University Club, but will be back in its usual location on June 16 in time for New Student Orientation, Moody said.

"Because we knew the construction was happening in advance, we could make other plans," Moody said.

Sarah Pitney, a sophomore in the School of International Services living on campus for the summer, said she didn't think the construction was an inconvenience.

"The construction is not so bad because they don't start the noisy work until 9 a.m.," she said.