Lacrosse ends four-game streak with loss at HC

The AU women's lacrosse team lost to Holy Cross at Worcester, Mass., on Saturday, 15-5, ending their four-game winning streak. The defeat drops the Eagles to 5-5 on the season and 1-1 in Patriot League play.

The Crusaders jumped out to an early lead and never looked back. Junior Amy Archambault would score for Holy Cross only 1:13 into the game while freshman teammate Meghan Fenton would tack on a goal of her own to give the Crusaders the quick 2-0 advantage only four minutes into the match.

AU would respond with a goal by sophomore Gina Ibello at the 25:18 mark to cut the lead down to one but that would be as close as the Eagles would get all game.

Holy Cross would go on an 8-1 run over the remaining time in the first half, with back-to-back goals by freshman Ali Baird and another pair of tallies by Fenton, part of her team-leading four goals of the afternoon.

Junior Jackie Lane would be the only Eagle to score during this stretch but it would not be enough as Holy Cross took a commanding 10-2 lead into halftime.

The second half of the game would be closer but the deficit was too large for the Eagles to overcome.

Ibello would score her second goal of the match while senior Caithlin Gorman picked up a pair of her own for the Eagles but the Crusaders outscored AU 5-3 in the second half to win by the final score of 15-5.

Fenton would lead the way for the Crusaders, scoring a game-high four goals with Archambault recording three of her own for Holy Cross. For AU, Ibello and Gorman each took home two goals to pace the team.

The Eagles will look to rebound from this loss when they travel to take on UMBC on Wednesday at 4 p.m.