Freedom to Marry Day marriages really real

In celebration of the annual Freedom to Marry Day, members of the AU community got together for some good, old-fashioned pretend marriage fun this past Thursday. Or so they thought. What the mock-newlywed couples didn't know was that their unofficial marriage ceremonies were actually officially recognized unions under District of Columbia law.

According to a newly established D.C. law, any couple proving to adequately express their commitment and sign both signatures to a document can be bound in legal matrimony. Even gay couples are subject to this new, highly controversial law, which was signed into law by Mayor Fenty. The law defines marriage as that between two consenting, committed adults and is the most progressive law of it's kind to currently be enacted around the country.

"The District of Columbia is committed to making this a city that welcomes people of all races, sexual orientations, religious beliefs, nationalities, and so forth," said Derek Snell, a D.C. government spokesman. "We take marriage seriously and will continue to enforce the law."

AU Queers and Allies sponsored Freedom to Marry Day to shed light on the issue of gay marriage. Freedom to Marry Day is a nationwide celebration that began nearly 10 years ago.

But because of the recent adoption of the new law, this year's Freedom to Marry Day caught some students completely off guard.

"The students that officiated the ceremonies were actually performing fully legal, fully binding marriage ceremonies on Thursday," said Alexander Smythe, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences and a member of AU Queers and Allies. "After Mayor Fenty signed this law, we began to tell people that this year, it would be legitimate weddings."

Smythe, who was a key organizer in the day, said that students were fully aware of the ramifications of their marriage commitments and that anyone who debated the validity of the ceremonies should check with the D.C. government.

"I had no idea that I was really going to be marrying my best friend," said Jackie Lane, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs. "I mean, I like Zack, but we don't really want to be married. I feel like this is going to deter the Freedom to Marry Day celebration around the city, because college students don't want to get married this young, and college campuses are the ones that really get behind the Freedom to Marry thing."

Students who took part in the marriage ceremonies are mad because they feel that they have been misled.

"I wholeheartedly support the cause of this day, but they never worked that hard to tell us we were really getting married," CAS sophomore Cassie Leutner said. "I'm pissed."

AU Queers and Allies said they were happy to talk to the students about the necessary processes for divorce, but said that they felt no responsibility for the mistaken marriages.

"Frankly, we told them and they knew about it, so that's that," Smythe said. "They can't blame us for not doing their homework."

Still, the event appeared to be a joyous one, as ceremonies lasted throughout the day followed by a reception for all of the wedding parties in the Butler Boardroom.