Despite tough routine, AU Crew loves what they do

Picture waking up at least six days a week at 4 AM in the morning. You arrive at your destination at 5:30 AM and for the next two hours you're required to row. Later in the day you spend another two hours at the gym working on the cardio machines and lifting weights. On most days, in between these two activities, you have to go to class, and only if you're lucky will you get that nap that you need so badly. Oh yeah, and where does this wondrous day begin? Anacostia.

When he started one year ago, Cory Conzemius's friends thought he was crazy for following such a routine. But Conzemius, a sophmore who is not only a member of the lightweight men's crew team, but also the team's driver, wouldn't change a thing.

"Everyone was just asking me why are you waking up so early, and calling me crazy, but it is really worth it. I always played sports in high school and I just liked playing, and the team is really close and cool," said Conzemius. As for Conzemius's take on waking up at 4 in the morning, "Its gonna be hard at first, but once your in the routine you get used to it," said Conzemius.

The American University Club Crew team is made up of forty men and women who row in both the heavyweight and lightweight division. Conzemius said that the men's heavyweight crew is the team with the most medals, however, it should be noted, that the lightweight crew by their own right have taken home a couple medals as well. Nevertheless there seems to be a little friendly contention between the two divisions.

"We [the lightweight team] always go back and forth, we tell them we're lighter than you and better, but we don't have as much power as those guys so we need more precise strokes and motion," said Conzemius.

Strokes and motion aren't the only factors necessary in performing well in Crew, endurance is required as well. Conzemius said the team is helped by the fact that many of them are runners. Even Conzemius himself ran track in high school. Therefore, they have already trained to keep their endurance up.

Still, while AU's crew team might have the needed talent, Conzemius said they are still badly in need of money. Most members have to make their own donations to the team while competing. Because of this, the team is constantly fundraising. In fact in a week you will see members of the AU Crew team collecting money and demonstrating their rowing abilities on the quad.

On Saturday the team competed in the real thing, as the AU crew team rowed against Catholic University on the banks of the Anacostia River in the Anacostia knockout meet. The men's novice group, made up of 4 rowers, took home victories against Catholic as they won with a time of 8:39. The men's lightweight crew also won their race with a time of 8:27.6. However, overall, AU lost five of their seven races against Catholic.

In May, the AU crew team heads to Philadelphia, to compete in the famed Dad Vail Regatta, the largest college regatta of the year. Both powerhouse competitors, Penn and Princeton, will be present.