April means sports have sprung around the District

Spring has finally arrived, bringing opportunity to get outside and get active. From Opening Day at RFK to the National Cherry Blossom Festival, D.C. is entering its prime season for sports enthusiasts. The sports page has compiled a list of upcoming events in the area to help all of you shake off your winter blues and get into the springtime spirit.

Washington Nationals

Nothing says spring quite like the return of baseball. Though Opening Day was officially yesterday, the Nationals have its home opener today, April 2, at RFK Stadium. The Nats host the Florida Marlins at 1:05 p.m. and will have outfield tickets for as little as nine bucks.

For all of you stuck in class or work, the Marlins will be in town until April 4, with the Tuesday game happening at 7:05 p.m. The Nats' homestand will extend through the weekend, with the Arizona Diamondbacks in town to play night games on Friday and Saturday, and an afternoon game on Sunday. Tickets still start at $9, so why not gather up a group of friends and take yourself out to a ball game?

D.C. United

For all you soccer fans, the MLS season is already in swing, with D.C. United getting their kicks in while sharing RFK Stadium with the Nationals. United will host the Kansas City Wizards next Saturday, April 14 at 7:30 p.m. with tickets starting under $20.

Sports at the National Cherry Blossom Festival

The National Cherry Blossom Festival started this past weekend, hosting its annual soccer tournament on Saturday. The festival will host a number of other recreational activities in the coming weeks, including bike tours, a regatta and a rugby tournament.

National Park Service Bike Tours

From March 31 through April 15, biking enthusiasts can enjoy complementary bike tours around the Tidal Basin. The three-hour guided tours will meet at 1 p.m. in front of the Jefferson Memorial, so bring your bike and your helmet and get ready to wheel around the monuments.

The 41st Annual Cherry Blossom Rugby Tournament

A Cherry Blossom tradition, the tournament will feature men's and women's high school and college teams from around the nation. The action starts at 8 a.m. and will take place at the Roosecraft Raceway, located at 6336 Rosecraft Drive, Ft. Washington, Md. The tournament is free to all, but $3 donations are encouraged to help keep this muddy event going for years to come.

Cherry Blossom Regatta

Starting at the Washington Sailing Marina in Alexandria, Va. at 11 a.m., the regatta will feature sailing vessels racing along East Potomac Park and back. The official Cherry Blossom Web site suggests grabbing a spot on the west side of the park for the best view of the race.

Washington Wizards and Capitals

For all of you not quite ready to let go of your winter sports, the Wizards and Caps are winding down their seasons at Verizon Center. The Wizards will host the Charlotte Bobcats on Wednesday, April 4 at 7 p.m. with tickets starting at $10.

The Capitals will host the Buffalo Sabres for fan appreciation day this Saturday, April 7 at 1 p.m. Tickets start at $10.