Towson drops lacrosse 17-7 in season's 1st loss

Despite a late run in the second half, the American University women's lacrosse team lost at Towson on Monday afternoon, falling 17-7 in recording their first loss of the season.

Towson was able to strike first and stay ahead, going on a 4-0 run to start out the first half. Freshman Amanda Makoid was able to get the Eagles on the board about 10 minutes in, netting an unassisted shot after to put the score at 4-1.

The Eagles struggled for the remainder of the half, failing to stop another 4-0 run by Towson, who went up 8-1 with under two minutes to play. Sophomore Gina Ibello managed an unassisted goal with just over a minute left, but it was Towson who would have the final score of the half when Cassie Krause shot with seconds remaining to put Towson up 9-2.

The Eagles attempted a comeback in the second half, led by junior twin duo Jackie and Lauren Lane, who teamed up with junior Brittany Finnegan to lead AU on a 4-0 run just under nine minutes in. Finnegan had one goal and one assist during the run, while Lauren Lane notched two goals. Jackie Lane, the team's leading scorer with three points on the day, had one goal and two assists.

Though the run brought the Eagles within five points, a late 3-0 tear by Towson would decisively end American's comeback campaign and go on to win, 17-7.

Towson outshot American 35-21, and was led by Hillary Fratzke and Meggie McNamara, who had five goals apiece. American also lost out on turnovers, committing 29 to Towson's 26.

The Eagles next travel to George Mason to face the Patriots on Thursday at 4 p.m.