Lacrosse breaks into groove with three-game win streak

This past week, while many were relaxing and enjoying the spring break, the women's lacrosse team was working hard to take hold of three wins for American University.

The Eagles started off its three game winning streak with a game against Central Connecticut State on Tuesday, March 13.

Tied 5-5 after the first half, junior Jackie Lane and senior Caithlin Gorman scored goals only six minutes into the second half, bringing the score to 7-5, the largest lead the determined Lady Eagles had all day.

With 23:32 in the second half CCSU scored their sixth goal to bring the score to 7-6. However, the Eagles didn't let the Blue Devil's persistence deter its play.

Attacker Anne Marie Person scored her fourth goal of the season through a free-position shot following Lane's third goal of the game. This was part of five straight goals for the Eagles and built a three-point lead over CCSU with only 19:27 remaining in the game.

As the clock began to wind down to zero, Lauren Aksionoff and Kira Sonberg worked together to score twice more for the Eagles, ending the game with a final score of 13-7.

On Thursday, March 15, AU played on the road in New Britain, Conn. against Fairfield University. The Eagles came out strong in the first half, taking a 1-0 advantage in the first few minutes of the game. The Eagles continued to fight hard, with goals scored by Lane, Person, Gina Ibello and Kira Sonberg, to keep a four-point lead over Fairfield throughout the entire half.

Unfortunately, the team proved unsuccessful in keeping that large lead as Fairfield scored two quick goals in the beginning of the second half to cut the lead to two. Nevertheless, AU captain Lauren Aksionoff kept the pressure on and fired a shot with 22:24 left in the game, bringing the score to 7-4.

The Stags attempted to gain the win by scoring two more goals in the final 15 minutes of the game, however proved to be unsuccessful as the Eagles won a final score of 10-6.

On Sunday, March 18, the woman's lacrosse team battled it out at home against Le Moyne for its third straight win.

After Le Moyne scored the first point of the game, Lane quickly responded with a goal of her own 30 seconds later. Soon after, with 26:03 remaining on the clock, Kira Sonberg scored, giving AU a 2-1 lead.

The second half started with a three-point advantage for the Eagles. Le Moyne quickly responded with two points in the opening of the second half to shave the lead to one.

Later in the half, AU and Le Moyne were locked at eight points each until Caithlin Gorman regained the advantage for the Eagles. Once again, the Dolphins responded, bringing the game to a 9-9 tie.

However, AU would not let the tie last for very long and responded with six straight goals which Le Moyne could not answer to, ending the game with the final score of 15-12.

The Eagles host Colgate on Saturday to attempt to bring its overall record this season to 5-4.