Wrestling's Cannon holds it down at AU

Making the transition from a high school mat to one of the top Division I college wrestling programs on the East Coast would intimidate even the most talented freshman recruit. But rather than getting pinned under pressure, AU's Mike Cannon was able to take on the challenge.

"It's kind of crazy, coming from high school and not knowing what to expect [at the] college level," said the redshirt freshman. "It's a totally different style, but I think I adjusted pretty well."

"Well-adjusted" would be an understatement. In his first year of competition, the 165-pound Cannon has dominated the mat, taking down top opponents and moving up the national ranks in his weight class. In his November debut at the Keystone Classic, Cannon defeated two top-five EIWA opponents before moving onto the finals and winning his first college title. The win also earned him his first top-20 national ranking.

"Keystone was a big step up and confidence booster," said Cannon. "To come out of my first college competition nationally ranked and realize I am on the same level as all the guys at the top made me realize I can compete with anyone in the country."

Cannon's confident mat-side manner has kept him rolling through the season, including victories over ranked opponents at the Arizona State Duals and a top-10 finish at the prestigious Midlands Tournament.

Though often recognized for his individual efforts, Cannon is quick to point out the team's collective work ethic and success.

"[Wrestling] is individual, but it's just as much about the team," he said. "Everyone working together, everyone having the same goals in line. If one guy doesn't want to work hard, it's going to bring the team down. If everyone is on the same page, then everyone is going to have success."

Cannon's respect for his teammates carries onto the other side of the mat as well. This weekend, the Eagles take on the University of Maryland, where Cannon, a Maryland native, is set to wrestle his high school mentor in the Terrapin's Jason Kiessling,

The much-hyped match against Kiessling, who is currently ranked 13th nationally, is something Cannon is looking forward to.

"It's funny that I'm going to wrestle someone I watched," said Cannon, "We were on the same junior league team, but went to different high schools. I watched him win a state championship when I was in eighth grade, so I looked up to him as a mentor. I really can't wait."

The action is set for Friday, when the Eagles meet Maryland at 7 p.m. in Bender Arena.