Shuttle program to be permanent following pilot

SG calls new system a success

The Student Government and Transportation Services have made the changes to American University's shuttle system permanent following the completion of their pilot program.

To reduce wait time, minimize fuel emissions and cut down on crowding, shuttle drivers are to run continuously between stops rather than wait for students who are running to catch the shuttle, according to Student Government President Ashley Mushnick.

"This has been a great way for Student Government to partner with Transportation Services and take a harder look at what could make the shuttle system more convenient and environmentally friendly," Mushnick said.

Students responded well to the pilot program and feedback received from comment cards was taken in consideration when permanently instating the new program, Mushnick said.

Overall the application of the new, continuous loop has gone smoothly. While there was some trouble with what Mushnick called "bunching," or when shuttles catch up and overlap one another, she said they have responded by creating checkpoints along the way that should help with spacing issues.

"A driver will know how long it should take him to get to Ward Circle or Tenley Campus and make sure that he is adhering to that pace," Mushnick said.

Elliot Cook, a student at the Washington College of Law, and Amanda Harrison, a graduate student in the College of Arts and Sciences, said they noticed there is less crowding on the shuttles.

Although some students agree the shuttles are always crowded, they see a difference in the availability of shuttle on the north side of campus.

Caitlin Ochs, a north side resident and freshman in the School of International Service, said now there is usually room on the shuttles and she has not missed one because of crowding.

After missing a shuttle on the way to a meeting, Josh Cahan, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs, said he was a bit skeptical about the shuttle service. However, he said he is hopeful about the new program.

"A service offered by the school and paid for with tuition dollars should be both convenient and efficient," Cahan said.

Soon there will be more changes made on the shuttles to reduce confusion, Mushnick said. Maps will be placed on shuttles that outline all of the shuttle's stops and indicate which are permanent and which are by request. Additionally, the current signs that differentiate between WCL shuttles and those traveling to Main Campus will be color-coded red and blue, respectively.

"It's important that we try to meet the needs of all students on campus," Mushnick said. "This program is our response to the concerns of the many people who have been met by an overcrowded shuttle"