Eagle Sports brief: Navy sinks women's hoops

Despite a career-high 24 points from Nicole Ryan, the AU women's basketball team fell to Navy on Wednesday night, 65-58. The loss drops the Eagles into a three-way tie for fourth place with Navy and Lafayette.

After giving up the game's opening basket on a three-pointer, the Eagles took its first and only lead of the game on a jumper by Abby Lipskis to go up 4-3.

However, the Midshipmen went on an 11-4 run over the next seven minutes to take the lead for good.

Down by 15 at the half, the Eagles attempted a comeback on Ryan's shoulders. Back-to-back three's by Ryan cut Navy's lead to six with 4:30 to go, but this would be as close as the Eagles would get as the Midshipmen held on for the seven-point victory.

Along with Ryan, teammates Liz Hayes and Talicia Jackson would register in double digits in scoring, collecting 13 points each.

The Eagles' final home game is Saturday when the team takes on Lafayette from Bender Arena starting at 2 p.m. Seniors Abby Lipskis and Jessica Tenuta will be honored in a ceremony during the game.