Campus briefs

Class of '09, coed service fraternity to host a cappella fundraiser

The Class of 2009 and service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega will be holding a charity a cappella concert, A'Capalooza, March 3, according to a Class of 2009 press release.

Proceeds from the concert will be donated to a D.C. public school and La Casa del Nino, an orphanage in Bolivia, the press release said.

The concert will feature AU's three a cappella groups, Dime a Dozen, On a Sensual Note and Treble in Paradise, as well as the University of Maryland Generics, according to the press release.

Class of 2009 Vice President Samya Behary said they hope to have 300 people attend the event to earn a total of $600 for the charities, according to the press release.

Dialogue to explore Muslim sects

The Minaret of Freedom Institute, a D.C.-based think tank, and the American University Muslim Student Association will host "Sunni-Shi'a Differences: Realities, Myths, and Challenges" to discuss the differences among Sunni and Shi'a Muslims, according to a Minaret press release.

The event, which will be held Feb. 22, will feature Imam Abo Fazel Nahidian of the Manassas Mosque, a Shi'a mosque in Virginia, and Sunni academic Professor Sulayman Nyang from Howard University, according to the press release.

"Just as interfaith dialogue leads to greater understanding between different religions, we at the Minaret of Freedom Institute firmly believe that interfaith dialogue can also lead to better understanding," Dr. Imad-ad-Dean Ahmad, president of the Minaret of Freedom Institute, said in the press release.

The event is scheduled in the McDowell Formal Lounge from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.