Wrestling takes down George Mason, 24-17

Despite registering a loss against No. 17 University of Tennessee at Chattanaooga on Friday, the American University wrestling team was able to salvage their weekend by defeating George Mason on Sunday afternoon.

Led by their nationally-ranked trio, the Eagles were able to edge George Mason with wins by No. 6 Adam LoPiccolo, No. 9 Josh Glenn and No. 17 Mike Cannon.

Glenn, along with teammates Rudy Rueda and Damian Swietlik, earned bonus point victories in each of their wins. Rueda had his 16th win of the season, while Glenn earned his seventh pin of the season to help American decisively take down GMU. 24-17.

The Eagles have had a challenging past few weeks, as they wrestled at the Arizona State Duals to start this month and the Midlands Tournament at Northwestern University to close out December.

Thanks to top-10 finishes by Glenn, LoPiccolo and Cannon, the Eagles nailed an 11th-place finish as a team at Midlands. The team also put up a strong showing at the ASU Duals, going 2-1 with wins over Arizona State and Cal-State Fullerton.

Since Dec. 10, the Eagles have had matches against three nationally-ranked opponents. American is 1-2 against top-25 teams in the past month, with a win over No. 22 Harvard on Dec. 10 and losses against University of Tennessee and No. 23 Lehigh, an EIWA rival whom they faced at the ASU Duals.

The Eagles hold a 7-6 record for the season. Their next match is Jan. 26 at Sacred Heart.