Women's indoor opens season at Navy Invitational

The American University women's indoor track meet opened their season on Tuesday, running at the Navy Invitational.

Though falling in dual meet scoring to Mt. St. Mary's, Navy and Towson, the Eagles had a good run in their opening meet, with second place finishes by juniors Kate Lilley and Cathleen Ford, and several other top-five finishes.

Lilley finished second in the one mile, clocking in at 5:13:30. Ford took the runner-up spot in the 3,000, posting a time of 10:33:57. Freshman teammate Greta Wicklund also impressed, following Ford with a time of 10:40:16, good enough for third place.

American also had a strong showing in the 800, sweeping the third, fourth and fifth spots. Senior Ashley Dellinger finished third at 2:25:15, while freshmen Ashley Pepper and Cara Zujewski finished fourth and fifth respectively.

Sophomore Catherine Hummel, AU's record holder in the indoor 400, fared well in her signature race, taking fourth place with a time of 1:01:64.

The Eagles next compete at the Maryland Invitational when they return to action on Jan. 20. The men's team will take their turn at the Navy Invite on Jan. 13.