Senior Brayden Billbe puts up a shot against NJIT.

Men's hoops to 5-2 on season with win over NJIT Wednesday

Seniors Arvydas Eitutavicius, Linas Lekavicius and Paulius Joneliunas all scored in double figures to lead the Eagles to their third consecutive home victory on Wednesday night at Bender Arena.

The Eagles lead by just four at the half, but went on an 8-0 run that was capped off by a Joneliunas dunk. NJIT quickly scored to cut the lead to 10, but would get no closer. AU led by more than 20 for most of the final six minutes.

Andre Ingram, AU's leading scorer this season, was held scoreless for the first time in his collegiate career, but Eitutavicius gave AU a spark off of the bench, leading all scorers with 20 points. Lekavicius added a season-high 16 points in just 20 minutes, and Joneliunas scored 12 points and grabbed five rebounds.

AU started out the game on an 11-2 run over the first five minutes. However, NJIT clawed its way back into the game, tying the game at 18 on a three-pointer by Andrew Engel, who lead the Highlanders with 16 points. NJIT held a one-point lead with less than three minutes left in the half, but Eitutavicius scored five straight points to send AU into the half ahead 36-32.

The Eagles will look to improve on their 5-2 start at home on Monday night at 7:30 against Longwood. The Lancers lost on Friday night in overtime to Navy.

Hoops Notes: New Jersey native Derrick Mercer scored 12 points, dished out seven assists and recorded four steals.The Eagles are undefeated this season at home, but play seven of their next nine games on the road.All 14 Eagles played in the game.Despite coming off the bench, Eitutavicius played 32 minutes, second most on the team.