International brief: Radiation found in dead spy now seen in others

The wife of Alexander Litvinenko and an Italian security agent who met with the now-deceased ex-spy have tested positive for the same radioactive substance he was exposed to, according to the Associated Press.

Mario Scaramella, the security agent, met with Litvinenko at a London sushi bar Nov. 1, the same day the former KGB agent first became ill. Scaramella later tested positive for polonium-210, the radioactive substance which Litvinenko was exposed to at some point, according to the AP.

At the meeting, Scaramella discussed an e-mail he received from a source about the killers of Russian journalist Anna Politkovskaya, who was murdered Oct. 7. The e-mail allegedly claimed that both Scaramella and Litvinenko were also targets of Politkovskaya's killers, according to the AP.

As Litvinenko was dying in a London hospital, he claimed Russian President Vladimir Putin was responsible for his poisoning. Officials in the Russian government said Litvinenko's claims were "utter nonsense," according to the AP.

A friend said Litvinenko's wife had also tested positive for the substance. His wife was "only slightly contaminated" and didn't have to seek treatment for the contamination, according to the AP.