Senior Elizabeth Maloney stares down her opponent in Saturday's game against Bucknell.

Volleyball ends regular season with perfect league record

Ending their regular season on a high note, the AU women's volleyball team beat Colgate on Saturday to commemorate Senior Day with their 17th consecutive win.

Captain Elizabeth Maloney, the team's only senior, excelled in her final regular season appearances, posting a .500 hitting percentage with nine kills and four blocks. In Friday's victory over Bucknell, the senior had 10 kills and a .625 hitting percentage.

The Eagles handled the Raiders easily, beating them in three games by scores of 31-21, 31-17 and 30-10. AU posted a .418 team hitting percentage, but also got help from junior Chelsa Brooks and sophomore Rubena Sukaj, who combined for 26 kills and eight aces.

Freshman Claire Recht also contributed with three blocks and three kills in her first career start at American.

The weekend wins bring the Eagles to a perfect 14-0 Patriot League record and 23-6 record overall. As the number one seed, the team now looks forward to hosting the Patriot League tournament next weekend, where it will face No. 4 Lafayette on Friday.

"We need to keep stressing on defense," said Claire Recht of preparing for the PL showdown this weekend. "Our offense is pretty strong already, so we need to back it up with strong defense and we should be great"