Kogod revamps logo to change national image

Updates expected to aid in recruitment

The Kogod School of Business is undergoing a campaign to improve the aesthetic quality of its logo, Web site and brochures.

In the "About Kogod" section of Kogod's newly refurbished Web site, Dean Richard M. Durand said the school hopes to further integrate its approach to interdisciplinary business education into all of its materials.

"The new Kogod visual identity is a reflection of our dedication to our students, constituents, faculty research and accomplishments and our close relationship with other AU schools," Durand says in his letter on the Web site. "It portrays the integrated approach to education and illustrates our engaged campus community."

Jennifer Frey Cochran, Kogod's director of marketing and communications, supervised the project that brought about Kogod's new visual identity. Last summer, Cochran and Durand, along with key faculty members, students and staff, began the effort to further define Kogod's messaging and decided that reforming their visual image was essential.

"Coming out of that project, we finalized our visual identity that portrays the professionalism of the business school and uses a lot of the images that really show our campus and its students and the fact that they're very engaged in clubs and organizations," Cochran said.

Michael Mazis, a marketing professor in Kogod, is optimistic about the impact these changes will have on the school.

"I think that all business schools in particular need to be contemporary, and I think that the logo and the visual identity, the look of the Web site, all convey a message about the school," Mazis said.

Mazis said the new image is the latest in a series of changes designed to improve Kogod's national image.

"I've seen a lot of changes at Kogod over the 25 years I've been here, and most of these changes have been positive," he said. "This school's gotten better known ... and the visual identity that's conveyed to prospective students provides a message about Kogod's propensity to be at the cutting edge of business developments."

Leigh Riddick, an associate professor of finance, said the new Web site will be effective in recruiting new students and drawing greater interest in Kogod's programs.

"I think the change is quite positive, and from my perspective, our new image is much more welcoming," Riddick said. "Our new Web page not only looks better [in] that it's more up to date, but that it's easier to use. In terms of recruiting students, having this more modern approach is critical."

Ben Jardines, a freshman in Kogod, said he believes the school's image at the national level can benefit as a result of its visual identity campaign.

"When I first looked at Kogod in my junior year of high school I knew that I had business aspirations, but I wasn't sure about the credentials of Kogod," Jardines said. "After I spoke to the dean, he assured me that the school was taking leaps and bounds in the right direction. Sure enough, the school is taking steps to improve its image."

Patty Nollet, a sophomore in Kogod, said the Web site is friendlier to all students, not just business school students.

"It explains the Kogod advantage so people not in business schools can understand how the school works, while the other one didn't," she said. "It explains the business school for all prospective students rather than just business students."

The Web site has helped improve the school, yet Kogod could still do more, said Eric Pajonk, a sophomore in Kogod.

"They are definitely trying to promote the school, but from an honors standpoint, they still lack foundation," Pajonk said. "They promote Kogod, but they don't do enough to promote the honors kids"