Cassandra Passinault colors her home state of New York blue to mark the Democrats' victory.

Democrats win both House, Senate

The Democrats won majorities in both houses of Congress in Tuesday's election, according to the latest election results reported by the Associated Press. The AU College Democrats and College Republicans held election night viewing parties Tuesday evening as election results began to pour in from across the nation.

Democrats won 229 seats in the House, while Republicans won 196. Based on these results, Democrats were projected to gain 29 seats from the Republicans, giving them a majority in the House for the first time since 1995. The AP had not yet projected a winner in 10 House seats, as of Wednesday evening. Of those, Democrats were leading in two, while the Republicans were leading in six. In two races, Texas' 23rd District and Louisiana's 2nd District, a runoff election will have to occur to determine a winner.

Democrats won 24 seats in the Senate, while Republicans won nine out of the 33 seats up this election cycle. Based on these results, Democrats were projected to gain six seats from the Republicans, giving them a majority in the Senate for the first time since 2003. The AP called the final contested Senate race, the Virginia contest between incumbent Republican Sen. George Allen and Democratic challenger Jim Webb around 8:45 p.m. on Wednesday.

An Allen staffer said Allen would be waiting to make a decision until all post-election canvassing was completed, which could be completed as early as this evening, according to the AP. Virginia officials will not officially certify election results il Nov. 27.

The College Republicans held their party in the Butler Board Room, where they watched election results and commentary on the Fox News Channel.

Sarah DeStefano, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs and membership chair for the College Republicans, said many of her fellow group members were out campaigning rather than staying at AU.

"Most of our members are out campaigning today, especially for Michael Steele's Senate campaign in Maryland," she said. "They're also going to be attending Steele's victory party tonight, so that's why our numbers are so low."

As election results began to come in, members of the College Republicans thought the results might be closer than polls indicated.

"I think the Republicans are going to do better than people think," DeStefano said.

"Republicans usually do bad in polls," said Laura Wolz, a freshman in the School of Communication. "If we do lose something, it'll be the House."

The College Democrats held their party in the Sky Lounge in Letts Hall, where they flipped between election results on CNN, MSNBC and the Daily Show and Colbert Report's "Midterm Midtacular" on Comedy Central.

Members of the College Democrats said they were cautiously optimistic as results were announced.

"I think we have the House," said Laura Laffler, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences. "I'm ambivalent about the Senate at this point. But if we get it, I'll do a little dance."

"I think they're doing well," said Nathaniel Goldstein, a senior in SPA. "However, they could have run better campaigns in some states."

Clare Allenson, a sophomore in the School of International Service and president of the College Democrats, said she thought some races would be very close.

"There are some key Senate races that may not be decided tonight," Allenson said. "Those races may be decided tomorrow. The House is looking wonderful, though, and we're setting the pace for a healthy majority."

Isabel Khoury, a freshman in the Kogod School of Business, said if any races became so close that a recount might be needed, the candidates should not contest the results for a long period of time.

"Candidates know that the public doesn't like to see their decisions dragged out for long," she said.