American University Winter Sports Preview Edition: Wrestling

Combining the momentum from last year's success with help of a talented freshman class, the AU wrestling team is shaping up to be a nationally competitive force on the mat this upcoming season.

The Eagles head into the 2006-2007 season led by junior Josh Glenn and a string of veterans who fought their way to a No. 17 national ranking last year. Glenn, who placed fourth at NCAA nationals last year and was named an All-American, looks to be the driving force behind an improved Eagle squad.

Glenn will be facing new competition this year, moving up a weight class from last year's 184 to 197. Head coach Mark Cody believes Glenn can be successful in his new weight class despite the shift.

"I think it'll be good for him," Cody said. "When guys start light and move up, they retain the same technique, so it's an advantage for him. He's very agile, probably more than the other 197s out there."

Although he has yet to compete in his new weight class, Glenn has been ranked third nationally in preseason polls, a position he feels comfortable at.

"I don't feel the competition is different," Glenn said. "I just have to go out there and wrestle smart and dominate."

AU will need to depend on that kind of confidence to keep a competitive edge this season. The team took a hit after the graduation of last year's phenom Muzaffar Abdurakhmanov, who placed third in the 2006 NCAA tournament and had one of the most successful seasons for any athlete in school history.

Glenn's leadership and experience, along with that of fellow junior and 2006 NCAA heavyweight qualifier Adam LoPiccolo (who heads into the season ranked ninth in his class) will be crucial to leading the younger contingent of Eagle wrestlers.

American has eight freshmen on the team this year, including brothers Jasen and Kyle Borshoff, and three-time Poland Junior National champion Damian Swietlik.

The Eagles will be able to test their talent early, as they face two top-10 teams in the opening weeks of the season in Central Michigan and No. 1 Minnesota. AU will also compete at the highly-competitive Midlands Tournament at the end of December.

"In my eyes, I feel like we have a much better team than we did last year, so I'm excited," Cody said. "I expect a lot of this group as long as we stay healthy because we're not too deep"