American University Winter Sports Preview Edition: Track

Running off their success from the 2006 cross country season, the men's and women's indoor track teams look to continue their PL dominance this winter.

Senior captain Dan Beardslee and fellow classmates Alex Cuadana, Dustin Emrani, Brendan Fennell, Rob Hoffman, Conor Lanz and Awit Yohannes lead the men's side, which placed first at the PL championships this fall. Emrani and junior Steve Hallinan will likely play a big role for the veteran Eagles, both having had success last winter when they respectively won the 3,000 and 800 meters at the winter PL championship meet.

"Our seniors will be big-time scorers," said head coach Matt Centrowitz. "Alex Caudana and Dustin Emrani should play huge roles on our relays and as individuals. Distance-wise, Dan stepped up big in cross country and he'll be in the hunt for some Patriot League titles. We have a strong corps of middle-distance guys who can score from the 800 to 5,000, including Conor Lanz and Awit Yohannes."

The women's team takes a hit with the loss of Keira Carlstrom and Zaia Wharton to graduation last year, and will have to rely on their young legs to keep the team in contention. Juniors Cathleen Ford and Kate Lilley will look to lead the way for a team loaded with freshmen and sophomores.

"[They're a] young group with very little experience, but we're all healthy and eager to compete," said Centrowitz. "With a little more time they'll be fine"