Women's soccer in third after weekend play

Despite recording a no-decision in their first match of the weekend, the AU women's soccer team grabbed three points in the Patriot League standings this weekend with a 1-0 win over Lehigh yesterday afternoon.

The Eagles got off to a slow start, with both teams failing to score in the first half. Lehigh managed eight shots with four on goal, while AU never even threatened, shooting only twice but never near the net.

American looked more dominant in the second half, despite being outshot by their opponent for the entire game. The teams retained the scoreless tie until midway through the half, when AU senior Jana Lee scored the game-winner off an assist from junior Irene Karistinos.

The game marked the Eagles' ninth win of the season and their fifth shutout. They move to 9-6-2 on the year and 3-2-1 in the Patriot League.

The win gave the Eagles a much-needed boost in the PL standings after a 1-1 tie with Lafayette on Saturday kept them in fourth place. Sunday's win now puts the Eagles into a third-place tie with Lehigh.

The top four teams in the league qualify for the PL tournament, meaning if the season ended today, American and Lehigh would be the final two teams to make the cut behind undefeated Navy and second-place Bucknell.

The Eagles can clinch a playoff spot with a win or a tie this weekend when they host fifth-place Colgate on Saturday at 1 p.m.