Victorious weekend for Eagles in women soccer

The AU women's soccer team had a very successful weekend, picking up their first two PL victories with a 1-0 win over Holy Cross on Friday followed by a 2-1 triumph over Army on Sunday.

The two wins for the Eagles improved the Eagles to 8-4-0 on the year and more importantly gave them a 2-1-0 record in the competitive Patriot League.

In their first match of the weekend against Holy Cross, the Eagles were able to take an early lead with which they never looked back.

Sophomore midfielder Katelynn Donovan scored only 1:46 into the game to give the Eagles a 1-0 lead. That would be the only scoring of the day, as AU goaltender Alison Doyle recorded her fifth shutout of the season, picking up four saves along the way.

Like their match against Holy Cross, the Eagles were able to take the first lead against Army. However, this time the Eagles had to avoid a late rally to hold on for the victory.

AU took the first lead of the game in the 21st minute on a goal by Tatiana Bertolo off of a header cross by Jana Lee to give the Eagles a 1-0 lead.

Lee would also make her presence known later in the game, when she scored on a penalty kick in the 86th minute to put the Eagles up 2-0.

This goal would be vital, as the Black Knights were able to put in a goal of their own with one minute remaining to cut the lead to 2-1. Fortunately, the Eagles were able to hold on to the slim lead, winning 2-1.

With the back-to-back PL wins, the Eagles were able to climb into a second place tie with Bucknell and Lehigh, trailing only undefeated Navy in the standings.

The Eagles next travel to Lewisburg, Pa. on Saturday to take on Bucknell before returning home to play Princeton on Oct. 17.