SG results announced

Record number of voters cast ballots

The Student Government fall elections brought out a record number of students to vote for the Class of 2010 Class Council and Undergraduate Senate with over 1,400 voting.

The Class of 2010 elected Eugene Johnson as their president, with Alexx Bant winning vice president. Joel Croft was elected comptroller and Alexis Lavi won secretary.

Only three candidates ran for the Class of 2007 Senate seats, leaving two seats open for an appointment by the Speaker of the Senate. Susanna Reid had the most votes with 13.6 percent, followed by Emily Wenker and former SG Comptroller Zach Ulrich, each with 8.96 percent of the vote.

Two Class of 2008 Senate seats were filled by Amanda Hurley, who won 11.5 percent of the vote, and Dave Dorroh, who won 8.05 percent. The three remaining seats will also be appointed by the Speaker of the Senate.

The Class of 2009 seats were filled by Erin Lauer, who won the most votes at 10.7 percent, followed respectively by Charlie Kilby, Josh Cahan, Erika Langhart and Jillian Rubino. Cahan, Langhart and Lauer are returning for their second year in the Senate.

Class of 2009 Senator Katie LaPotin was the only incumbent Senator not to be reelected.

The highly contested Class of 2010 Senate seats were filled by Seth Cutter, Julie Mills, Georgette Spanjich, Caitlyn Lang and David Carpenter, all of whom were within less than three percentage points of each other.

The four At-Large seats were filled by sophomore Sophia Amaya, junior Charlie Biscotto, junior Lucas Johnson and freshman Zach Tyman. Biscotto is the longest serving member of the Senate.

The two College of Arts and Sciences seats were filled by senior Asher Huey and sophomore Peter Wahlberg.

The uncontested Kogod School of Business seat was filled by sophomore Andrew Kerai.

The uncontested School of International Service seat was filled by freshman Rosie Scott.

Also uncontested was the School of Communication seat filled by returning sophomore Brian Kalish.

Freshman Kristopher Kagan fills out the new members of the Senate with the School of Public Affairs seat.

Board of Elections Chair Joe Pavel, a sophomore in SPA, said he was pleased with the elections.

"I'm really happy because we had a record voter turnout for a fall election, which we're really proud of," Pavel said. "It shows that people are starting to care more and more about their Student Government, especially who is in the Undergraduate Senate."

A Senate with enthusiastic new people can be very productive, said SG President Ashley Mushnick.

"Students want hassle-free services from AU, and we need a hassle-free Student Government to do that," she said. "Now that the Senate is fully populated, we can more easily reach out to AU students and translate their concerns into action."

The Undergraduate Senate will hold a transition meeting open to the student body Wednesday at 10:45 p.m. The location has yet to be determined. The first Senate meeting will be Oct. 22 at 2:30 p.m. in Kogod 118.