No. 12 Phillip Purdy dribbles down the field in Tuesday's loss.

Men's soccer has first home loss

The AU men's soccer team lost at Reeves Field for the first time this season, falling to Navy 1-0. The loss prevented the Eagles from clinching a spot in the PL tournament and kept their slim one point lead over fifth-place Bucknell with one PL game remaining.

The Eagles (6-9-3, 2-2-2 PL) had started the year with six consecutive victories at home and failed to pick up three important league points in their loss to Navy (5-8-2, 1-4-1 PL), who picked up their first PL win and moved within two points of American in the process.

After a scoreless first half in which the Eagles out shot the Midshipmen 9-3, Navy was finally able to crack AU's defense midway through the second period.

Navy's McKenzie Plank took a through pass from teammate Mark Garcia and fired a shot past AU's Chris Sedlak to give the Midshipmen a 1-0 lead.

While Sedlak made many highlight-reel saves in the second half to keep his team in the game, the Eagles were unable to muster any offense of their own and ended the game on the wrong side of a 1-0 score.

Following this loss, the Eagles now find themselves in a do-or-die weekend match against Army on Saturday at West Point, NY.

AU can clinch a spot in the playoffs with a victory or a loss by Bucknell to Navy. Should both teams remain tied in the standings following their matches, the Eagles would advance thanks to their 2-0 win over the Bison at "Phil Reeves" day on October 21.