International briefs

New machines could create voting problems

New voting machines, long lines and large numbers of people to count could prove troublesome in the upcoming midterm elections, according to Reuters.

"In close elections, it may be days and weeks before a winner is known in a particular race," Paul DeGregorio, chairman of the U.S. Election Assistance Commission, told Reuters.

Following the 2000 presidential election, which was decided by the Supreme Court, many new voting procedures were mandated to install new electronic voting equipment with paper back-ups, "provisional ballots" when a voter's registration was questioned and other measures, Reuters reported. Many of these new changes are set to be tried for the first time in the midterm elections, which could create problems if the equipment does not function properly.

There are currently 175 million people registered to vote, which in combination with the new equipment could lead to long lines and delayed results, according to Reuters.

U.S. officials say more troops needed in Iraq

Gen. George Casey, the top commander in Iraq, said more U.S. or Iraqi troops are necessary to improve the situation in Iraq, according to the Associated Press.

At a news conference Tuesday, U.S. defense officials said they wanted to make reductions in the number of troops in Iraq. However, the surge of violence has led them to reconsider this action, according to the AP.

"Now, do we need more troops to [improve infrastructure]? Maybe. And, as I've said all along, if we do, I will ask for the troops I need, both coalition and Iraqis," Casey told the AP.

There are currently 144,000 troops in Iraq, according to the AP.