Field hockey captures PL regular season title; beats Holy Cross 4-1

In their last regular season game, the senior players on the AU field hockey team made sure that they'll play at home at least one more time. Seniors Camila Infante, Tiffany Carter and Kaitlin DeTroia provided all of the offense for the Eagles in their 4-1 victory over Holy Cross to clinch the Patriot League Regular Season Championship.

Both teams started out the game slowly, with both defenses limiting the offensive opportunities. However, 22 minutes into the game, DeTroia scored from the corner to give the Eagles a 1-0 lead. The AU lead was short-lived, as less than two minutes later Eagles goalie Alison Fayfich was called for a foul. Holy Cross's Sara O'Coin converted the penalty stroke to tie the game at one.

AU came out of halftime strong, taking the lead just six minutes into the half when Carter scored off of a pass from Heidi Hershberger. Infante stretched the lead to 3-1 a few minutes later on a backhand shot. With seven minutes remaining, Infante scored her second goal of the game to close out the scoring.

The Eagles defense was outstanding all game. They allowed just one shot in the first half and four shots overall.

The victory ensured that the Eagles would host the PL Tournament for the fourth consecutive year. They will play Bucknell on Saturday morning at 11 a.m. The winner of that game will face the winner of the Holy Cross/Lafayette game on Sunday for the PL Championship.

Field Hockey Tidbits: The seniors have never lost a game against a PL opponent in their careers.Both of Carter's goals this year have been game winners.AU scored four goals on just seven shots.