No. 5 Meg Runeari gets a leg up on Robert Morris on Sunday afternoon.

Weekend wins help women's soccer stop four-game slide

The American University women's soccer team won consecutive matches over Richmond and Robert Morris this weekend at Reeves Field, ending their recent four-game slide without a win.

The Eagles had a strong start to the weekend, dominating Richmond in a 3-0 shutout on Friday. The contest marked the first time American recorded a win since their Sept. 8 victory at East Carolina.

Sophomore Lindsey Miller grabbed an early lead for American, scoring on an assist by freshman Kelly McLaughlin after just two minutes and 43 seconds of play.

Senior Jana Lee scored the next two goals, the first coming in the 34th minute off an assist by sophomore Katelyn Donovan. Lee would score again eight minutes later, beating Richmond goalie Kate Hudson to put the Eagles up 3-0.

Richmond lagged behind a much more aggressive American offense and defense, as the Spiders were outshot 16-7 and tallied only three fouls against the Eagles' 13.

The Eagles were able to take that momentum into Sunday, when they battled to a 2-1 win over Robert Morris.

Both teams held each other to a nearly scoreless first half until RMU's Stephanie Kohn scored off an assist by teammate Emily Schock in the 43rd minute. American took 18 shots during the first half, but went into the break with nothing to show for it.

The Eagles fared better in the second half, tying the contest on freshman Olivia Heditsian's score off teammate Katelyn Donovan's corner kick. The assist marked Donovan's second of the weekend, following her header to Jana Lee in Friday's win over Richmond.

Lee would put the Eagles ahead shortly after, scoring off a penalty kick in the 68th minute. The goal was Lee's third of the weekend and fifth of the season.

The two wins bring American's record to 6-3-1 going into Patriot League play this weekend, where the Eagles will face an undefeated Navy squad at 1 p.m. Saturday in Annapolis, Md.