Duquesne, GMU no match for Eagles

The AU women's soccer team won the Georgetown Tournament this past weekend, defeating Duquesne 3-1 on Saturday and George Mason 2-1 the following day. The two wins improved the undefeated Eagles to 3-0 on the young season.

After having their match postponed to Saturday due to rain, the Eagles and the Duquesne Dukes finally played in the opening game of the tournament. Playing to a scoreless first half of play, AU found itself down 1-0 after a Duquesne goal in the 68th minute.

However, rather than give up, the Eagles rallied to score three goals in the final 20 minutes of play. Sophomore Katelynn Donovan tallied a goal in the 75th minute to tie the game up at one.

Senior captain Christina Gonzalez added her own five minutes later and fellow senior captain Meg Runeri put in an empty netter to round out the scoring, giving the Eagles an eventual 3-1 victory.

In the second match, AU struck early in the third minute of play on another goal by Gonzalez to take a 1-0 lead.

George Mason would break through AU's defense to tie the game up at one with a goal only four minutes into the second half.

However, the story would be Gonzalez, who scored her second game-winning goal and third of the tournament in the 81st minute to give the Eagles a 2-1 win and the tournament championship.

In recognition of her accomplishments, Gonzalez would be named PL Offensive Player of the Week. She would also join goaltender Alison Doyle, Annette Scott and Olivia Hedisian on the all-Tournament team.

Next up for the undefeated Eagles is the Wolfpack Invitational on the campus of NC State next weekend. They will face East Carolina Universitiy on Friday along with a match against the host Wolfpack on Sunday.