Guide to local music

By now, you've probably got your Fugazi poster slathered up on your dorm room wall and your "20 Years of Dischord" playing softly in the background as you settle into your cozy prefabricated nook of a dorm room and begin to plan your attack on the D.C. music scene. We here at The Eagle have preordained your desires and fears and offer as a helping hand this handy guide to D.C. artists and show listings. From brutal grind to saccharine anarcho-pop punk, things here in the District have changed significantly since Revolution Summer. So sit back and read on, young padawan, for we were in your Vans slip-ons not too long ago.

The Evens At your local record store: "The Evens," Dischord

Featuring Ian MacKaye (Fugazi, Minor Threat) on baritone guitar and Amy Farina (The Warmers) on drums, powerhouse duo The Evens formed in 2001. While they don't have the abrasive sound of past projects from MacKaye, his unique style does come out to parade itself on most tracks. Expect D.C. dates for the upcoming year, and, if anything, don't be that guy who requests "Seeing Red."

Georgie James At your local record store: "Demos at Dance Place" Upcoming Show: Aug. 26 at the Black Cat, $10

After Q and Not U's 2005 breakup, drummer John Davis formed Georgie James with D.C. singer/songwriter Laura Burheen. Named for a theoretical songwriter that they think embodies their sound, the duo is all '70s pop harmonies and delightful indie rock. They're currently recording a full-length album, but the seven-song demo that birthed the group should tide you over before the record's release.

Tradition Dies Here At your local record store: "Time to Turn the Tables," Amor y Lucha

This politically-charged hardcore three-piece blends crust and metal influences to create a circle-pit worthy sonic blast. Expect to see some serious shredding on 12-string guitar and shout-along choruses. Get your hands on a split 12" with D.C. thrash all-stars An Alarm before both the record and An Alarm become history.

The Max Levine Ensemble At your local record store: "How to Build an Intergalactic Time Machine," Shake Got the Beets Records Upcoming Show: w/ The Twats, Sept. 9 at U-Turn

The hardest working band in punk music today, The Max Levine Ensemble is a three-piece power-punk trio that is sweeter than candy. While they may sound too sweet to be serious to the undiscerning ear, TMLE are some of D.C.'s most committed activist musicians. With ties to Plan-it X Records, the band is still independent and plans to keep it that way.

Magrudergrind At your local record store: "62 Trax of Thrash," To Live a Lie/Robotic Empire, the complete discography of their first three years as a band.

Fastcore/powerviolence/grind superheroes Magrudergrind will lay waste to you in the most guttural and obscene ways possible. Think Charles Bronson but with more drinking. These kings of grind played this summer's Pointless Fest in Philadelphia and are soon embarking on a European tour. Catch them while you still can.

Mass Movement of the Moth At your local record store: "Outerspace," Exotic Fever Records Upcoming Show: w/ Hot Cross, Sept. 30 at the Warehouse Next Door

There are few bands who are accurately labeled as "indescribable." Mass Movement of the Moth is truly one of these bands, as terms like "progressive hardcore" and "experimental" do not even begin to capture their synth-pounding, haunted carnival sound. One of the most active bands in D.C., you can expect to see them at least once every two weeks.

Pheer.com

Meet your new best friend, the D.C. show board. A guide to the DIY shows in Virginia, D.C. and Maryland, this Web site is the way to find out about house shows or smaller venues whose schedule you might gloss over in planning your weekend. The site is huge and getting huger every day. The site also features a links page of area venues, bands and labels, as well as a forum.