Guide to DC restaurants

It's impossible to encapsulate all the great places to chow down in D.C., but if you're new to the city and need sustenance now, these suggestions - listed by neighborhood - should get you started.

TENLEYTOWN

Neisha Thai 4445 Wisconsin Ave. N.W. (202) 966-7088 www.neisha.net Lunch: Monday-Friday, 11:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday, noon-3:30 p.m. Dinner: Sunday-Thursday, 5-10 p.m., Friday and Saturday, 5-1 p.m.

Neisha is a great place to try if you're new to dining out in D.C. Many freshmen go here during their first weeks at AU because it's close to campus and accepts EagleBuck$. Upperclassmen keep coming back because the food is great, and the restaurant will deliver your food if you don't want to leave your dorm.

Chipotle 4301 Wisconsin Ave. N.W. (202) 237-0602 www.chipotle.com Hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. daily

Chipotle is a burrito lover's heaven. Not only can you make your own burrito (similar to the way you make a sandwich at Subway), but it's cheap, fast and filling. Even though Chipotle no longer offers free drinks when you show your AU ID, it's still a popular spot for students. You're bound to see another Eagle when you're there. A burrito and soda cost about $7.

Steak and Egg 4700 Wisconsin Ave. N.W. (202) 686-1201 Open 24 hours

If you're looking for a fast, tasty and cheap breakfast, Steak and Egg is the place to go. A plate of steak, eggs, hash browns and toast is less than $8. This D.C. landmark has been open in various forms since 1935. Close to campus and open 24 hours a day, Steak and Egg is perfect for late-night munchies and hangover breakfasts.

FRIENDSHIP HEIGHTS

Cheesecake Factory 5345 Wisconsin Ave. N.W. (202) 364-5000 www.thecheesecakefactory.com Hours: Monday-Thursday, 11:30 a.m.-11:30 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 a.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-11 p.m.

The obvious draw of the Cheesecake Factory is the cheesecake. They have almost every kind imaginable, from low-carb to key lime to pumpkin. However, it's not just the cheesecake - their regular food is fantastic, too. Accept the fact that no matter what time of day you venture here, you will have to wait (particularly if you're with a large group.) Try going later in the evening just for dessert to minimize your wait. A piece of cheesecake costs about $7 and dinners range from $10-$20.

American City Diner 5532 Connecticut Ave. N.W. (202) 244-1949 www.americancitydiner.com Open 24 hours

For those missing the diners of home or just looking for a more unique D.C. dining experience, try the American City Diner. The traditional diner fare, including hamburgers and milkshakes, is sure to meet the high standards of any diner connoisseur. Also, the diner plays a movie every night, which customers can watch for free. The movies are classics and are made anywhere from the '30s through the '80s. In June alone, the diner showed '70s Mel Brook classics "Blazing Saddles" and "Young Frankenstein," the '60s Audrey Hepburn favorite "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and "Moonstruck," a 1987 film starring Cher. Hamburgers are about $6 and most entrees cost less than $10.

DUPONT CIRCLE

Cos¡ 1647 20th St. N.W. (202) 332-6343 www.getcosi.com Hours: Monday-Thursday, 7 a.m.-midnight; Friday, 7 a.m.-1 a.m.; Saturday, 7:30 a.m.- 1 a.m.; Sunday, 7:30 a.m.-11 p.m.

Round up a few new friends and head to Cos¡ for dessert (try the make-your-own s'mores) or head there for lunch for a great salad or sandwich. If you're not in Dupont Circle, don't worry. There are additional locations on Connecticut Avenue in Dupont Circle, downtown, in Georgetown and in Friendship Heights.

Buca di Beppo 1825 Connecticut Ave. N.W. (202) 232-8466 www.bucadibeppo.com Hours: Monday-Thursday, 5-10 p.m.; Friday, 5-11 p.m.; Saturday, 4-11 p.m.; Sunday, 4 -9 p.m.

Even though Buca di Beppo is a chain, it doesn't feel like it. The interior is decorated with an eclectic mix of decorations - everything from posters of '50s music icons to busts of the Pope. The wait here is usually long, but it's worth it. All the food is served family style, so bring plenty of friends. A large spaghetti, which feeds four people, is $15.95, so you definitely get a great bargain.

GEORGETOWN

J. Paul's 3218 M St. N.W. (202) 333-3450 www.j-pauls.com Hours: Monday-Thursday, 11:30 a.m.-2 a.m.; Friday and Saturday, 11:30 a.m.-3 a.m.; Sunday, 10:30 a.m.-2 a.m.

J. Paul's is a classic sports bar. Huge televisions showing football, baseball or basketball games are visible from nearly every table. Enjoy the soft pretzels that are served in place of bread. Hamburgers are about $10, and entrees range from $15 to $25.

Thomas Sweet 3214 P St. N.W. (202) 337-0616 www.thomassweet.com Hours: Sunday-Thursday, 8 a.m.-midnight; Friday and Saturday, 8 a.m.-1 a.m.

Thomas Sweet has arguably the best ice cream in the District. Try the blend-in, a mix of your choice of ice cream with three kinds of fruit, candy, cookie or nuts for the perfect end to a Georgetown evening.

ADAMS MORGAN

Meskerem Ethiopian Restaurant 2434 18th St. N.W. (202) 462-4100 www.meskeremonline.net Hours: Monday-Thursday, noon-midnight; Friday and Sunday, noon-3 a.m.

For a truly unique D.C. dining experience, try Ethiopian food at Meskerem. Just don't be surprised when there aren't utensils on the table. The stew-like dinners are eaten by picking up bite-size pieces with injera, a pancake-like bread. Dinners range from $9-$14.

Bardia's New Orleans Caf? 2412 18th St. N.W. (202) 234-0420 Hours: 10 a.m.-10 p.m. daily

This caf? is so tiny (it only seats about 24 people) that it's almost hidden in Adams Morgan. Huge windows open so diners get a great view of 18th Street. The po' boy sandwiches are delicious and cheap (around $6 each). Don't leave without some beignets (a deep-fried doughnut-type dessert covered in powdered sugar.)

ELSEWHERE

Ben's Chili Bowl 1213 U St. N.W. (202) 667-0909 www.benschilibowl.com Hours: Monday-Thursday, 6 a.m.-2 a.m.; Friday and Saturday, 6 a.m.-4 a.m.; Sunday, noon-8 p.m.

Ben's Chili Bowl is a D.C. landmark. It has retained the same furnishings, atmosphere and menu since its opening in 1958 and has served celebrities such as Martin Luther King Jr., Bill Cosby and Ella Fitzgerald. Expect prompt service and low prices (sandwiches range from $4 to $6) along with the amazing food. The closest Metro is the U Street/Cardozo station.

California Pizza Kitchen 1260 Connecticut Ave. N.W. (202) 331-4020 www.cpk.com Hours: Monday-Thursday, 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m.; Friday, 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m.; Saturday, noon-11 p.m.; Sunday, noon-9 p.m.

If you're in the mood for pizza but also want something a little unique, check out California Pizza Kitchen. Try the barbeque chicken pizza or the Thai chicken pizza if you're feeling adventurous. If not, stick with traditional cheese or pepperoni. Because CPK is located in the heart of D.C.'s downtown business district rather than a residential area, there usually isn't a wait. The closest Metro is the Farragut North station.

Uno's Chicago Grill 7272 Wisconsin Ave. Bethesda, Md. (301) 986-8667 www.unos.com Hours: Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m.-midnight; Sunday, noon-10 p.m.

If you're in the mood for more traditional pizza, try Uno's. You can create your own individual size pizza or pick one of theirs. Don't forget the deep dish sundae, an amazing creation involving a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie, ice cream and hot fudge. Though you'll be seated promptly at Uno's, the service can be slow. Keep this in mind if you're catching a movie at the Regal Bethesda, which is less than a block from Uno's. An individual size pizza is about $9. The Bethesda Metro station is only a few blocks away.

Sidebar - Things to Remember When Eating Out in D.C.

Due to D.C.'s high cost of living, dining out in the District isn't cheap. Bargains are there, but for the most part, your meals will cost more than you expected - especially once the 10 percent food tax hits the bill.

If you're budget-conscious, watch out for traveling costs. Trips on the Metro add up. Save money by going to restaurants within walking distance, especially those in Tenleytown and Friendship Heights.

Some of the best restaurants, particularly those in Adams Morgan, aren't close to the nearest Metro. Remember this when picking shoes for your night out.

Good, poopular restaurants in D.C. are almost always crowded. Call ahead for a reservation if you can, or just suck it up and wait.

Bus service in Georgetown can get patchy late at night, with buses coming only every half an hour. Check the timetable at http://www.wmata.com/timetables/dc/30-36.pdf and plan accordingly.